The Black Den Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
TC:Elite FAQ

Reply to topic    The Black Den Forum Index » General Discussion View previous topic
View next topic
TC:Elite FAQ
Manav
Visitor of the Den

Post TC:Elite FAQ Reply with quote
Thanks to Catalyc for providing this FAQ at the official forum for TCE-

What is answered here:

1. So what are the features of 0.49?
2. What are the minimum system requirements for 0.49?
3. What do I need to play 0.49? Is it a patch or a full install? Is it be backwards compatible?
4. Where can I download TC:Elite 0.49?
5. I downloaded the .zip, how do I run TC:E?
6. When I try to connect on some servers in the list it tries to download a bunch of files then disconnects.
7. I'm not seeing any servers in the in-game browser!
8. No new weapons on this update?
9. Any changes for servers?
10. Is TC:E Open Source? How about moving to the Q3 GPL engine or its forks? Can I contribute?
11. What's this letterbox thing? Where are the 4:3 resolutions? I don't have a widescreen!
12. I can't load some maps like Snow and Railhouse, I get a Hunk_AllocateTempMemor error when trying to load them! What can I do?
13. I'm getting a huge of amount of lag every time someone fires a gun!

1. So what are the features of 0.49??

The main features are the following:

* Texture Tone Mapping
* HDR Lighting
* Realistic scaling
* High quality sounds (44khz)
* Letterbox & widescreen modes - TrueVision
* Mac version
* Free climb
* Reworked weapon handling
* Reinforced OBJ, as Capture the Flag in stock maps.
* Bug fixes

A complete changelog can also be found here.

2. What are the minimum system requirements for 0.49??

Though TC:E is based on the ET engine, it has higher minimum system requirements:
You'll need at least an 800mhz processor, 320mb of RAM, a 64mb video card and 750mb of free space as Enemy Territory weights 250mb and TCE 0.49 around 450mb. Recommended system specs are a 128mb video card and at least 512mb of RAM.

3. What do I need to play 0.49? Is it a patch or a full install? Is it be backwards compatible?

TC:E 0.49 is a ~450MB FULL install, the files needed to play it can be download from the "Where to get it." post made by GTX2GvO. Otherwise you can download it at the official site here

4. Where can I download TC:Elite 0.49??

There are several mirrors up as well as the generic .zip torrent. For Mac users it is recommended to download the Mac Installer. There are mirror lists available here.

5. I downloaded the .zip, how do I install and run TC:E?

First you need to extract the contents of the .zip into your Wolf - ET folder, this should create a folder called tcetest inside that.

Then you can create/copy a shortcut and add +set fs_game "tcetest" to the command line, for example on Windows:

Code:

"C:\Program FIles\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\et.exe" +set fs_game "tcetest"

Linux users can also just use it from the console:

Code:

et +set fs_game tcetest

6. When I try to connect on some servers in the list it tries to download a bunch of files then disconnects.

You are trying to connect to an 0.48 server, unfortunetly there is no easy way to filter them from the 0.49 servers in the server browser. The best way is to sort by the map names, maps that have the obj_ prefix are from 0.49 while the dem_ ones are from 0.48, for example: obj_northport in 0.49 is a rehauled version of dem_northport in 0.48.

7. I'm not seeing any servers in the in-game browser!

Don't think any fix has been mentioned for this yet, though you can use external server browsers as a workaround for this problem:

Windows users can use The All Seeing Eye, here are instructions on setting up a TC:E 0.49 filter, the filter that comes with ASE shows ALL TC:E servers of different versions, so using this custom filter is recommended.

I'll post info on the Linux and Mac server browsers soon.

8. No new weapons on this update??

coroner wrote:
Unfortunately, some stuff that was already prepared or close to be finished didn't make it in the 0.49 release in the interest of time. New weapons will be released along with new maps in the future. We hope to be able to constantly improve TCE 0.49+ with shorter upgrade cycles.

9. Any changes for servers?

There is now a new "sv_official" setting, where official servers can only load offcially released TC:E maps and are meant to only reference the official TC:E pak files. TC:E 0.49 will also be limited to 20 clients in Objective mode and 32 clients in the other modes.

10. Is TC:E Open Source? How about moving to the Q3 GPL engine or its forks? Can I contribute?

TCE is closed source. The engine subject has been discussed already, and the developement team has stated several times that they intend to continue in the W:ET engine as a closed source project. If you think you can contribute models/maps/textures of the same quality of the TC:E standards, feel free to contact the team through the Contact Form.

11. What's this letterbox thing? Where are the 4:3 resolutions!? I don't have a widescreen!!

coroner wrote:
To avoid some confusion with "letterbox": TCE will only be available in 16:9 widescreen format. If you have a 4:3 screen you will run it in letterbox mode. TCE's new "TrueVision" format has the same horizontal field of view (FOV) as before and less FOV in vertical direction. For the typical viewing distances and screens TrueVision is much more realistic. In combination with the new to-scale maps a 4:3 mode with smaller horizontal FOV like AAOps would have been possible too. We decided, however, to offer only one mode and to choose the display format of the future. TrueVision might offer a realistic positioning and size of the gun in the future. Unfortunately you would barely see the gun in hip mode then, so we don't really know whether this is a good option.

And a little more info on the gun positioning in a newer post by Liquid:

Liquid wrote:
16:9 widescreen allowed us to set more natural peripheral vision, along with horizontal and vertical FOV tweaks, the 16:9 screen setting should now also allow us to fix the viewing perspective on the weapons.

as you may have noticed the current weapon models appear very flat and hardly show any perspective away from the viewer, making a pistol appear not much shorter than a sniper rifle. there were several limitations in the way the viewport is handled in ET that prevents us from using realisic 1st person perspective, until now.

as we're an independent mod-team, we can thus afford to innovate on these things. i would say, get used to the 1st person perspective and switch back to some other game. i currently prefer the widescreen, even on my 4:3 monitor.

12. I can't load some maps like Snow and Railhouse!! I get a Hunk_AllocateTempMemor error when trying to load them! What can I do?

You need to set your com_hunkmegs higher, to do so, edit the autoexec.cfg text file located in your tcetest folder (if there isn't any, create one) and add/edit the line:

Code:
seta com_hunkMegs "192"

Set the value (default is 192) to 1/2 of the amount of RAM you have, 256 for 512mb of RAM, etc. If you only have 256mb of RAM and are having this issue, you should really consider an upgrade Confused

You may need to restart TCE twice after

13. I'm getting a huge of amount of lag every time someone fires a gun! Is there any fix for this?

The most common solution for this problem is to set the "Wall Mark Lifetime" off, you can do this in the View section of the Options menu. This can also be done by console or editing the cfg's by setting "cg_marktime" to "0".[url][/url]
Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:09 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Black Den Forum Index » General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: