The Black Den Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Arrrghhh! Can't update because of unreliablilty!

Reply to topic    The Black Den Forum Index » Site Issues View previous topic
View next topic
Arrrghhh! Can't update because of unreliablilty!
Saccade
Den Dweller

Post Arrrghhh! Can't update because of unreliablilty! Reply with quote
I've had to turn style sheets off to get this far - it's taken over an hour, man, to just get this far!
Hope I'm even logged in (Saccade).

I want to update the new Magic stuff and also a few other cool things (inc Adobe CS3/4) but it's impossible when I keep getting timeouts and other misc. errors on the site...
Also, I have an advert that I've made for my blog to run past you. It's a little different to the theme, but it's ok. Not bad for being really stoned at 5 am with no sleep anyway :p
Even the smileys aren't loading..!

I've tried PC, latest versions of - Firefox and Opera.
Not tried Mac yet, but Claire'll be up soon, so she'll want to use it.
Can't be arsed to get up yet, so I will try off main PC later.

This place has always been a bit slow to load, but has it gotten worse recently, or is it just me being shit again?
The shoutbox or the chatbox just doesn't work. They rarely load together.

Are they both needed? Just thinking for ease of loading here - if there's a rise in membership, another text box could be considered. Or the forums could be used differently.
All this stuff is sitting here an not being used - people should have access to it, so I'm gonna see if any get referred from my sites.

L8rz
Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:33 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
GTX2GvO
The Forum Virus

Post Reply with quote
First of all. Nice you still see some use in your account. Smile
(are you cooled down from the recent trouble now?)

if the timeout is something in the form of a 50x (mostly 503 I think), then it's a host thing I can't do much about it.
Unless I'd buy myself a decent domain and stuff, with the chance I have to take a same route as AB (corporate community etc)

An advert, you say? So you have some sort of banner to promote this place? Smile
I'd like to see it.

And for the Razz smilie. it uses the P not the p.

Ahh.. And now the CB vs SB. scratch
The Xat CB was added first to the forum, cause I thought we needed a CB.
BUT it had some issues. Normal users couldn't post links in it and due to the fact it was an external CB, there wasn't a proper user integration.
The Forum SB IS integrated though, and allows for posting links. (although if you want them to be clickable you have to wrap it in [url} {/url] tags).
Another minor downside to the SB. You can only post there once your logged in. Not logged in == not seeing SB.
Whereas the CB is viewable despite login status.

Think I've explained what needed to be explained. If not, please ask some more. Smile
Cause like you said yourself. It's all sitting here, barely being used.
And more community isn't bad for this place right? Very Happy

Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:49 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Saccade
Den Dweller

Post Reply with quote
GTX2GvO wrote:
First of all. Nice you still see some use in your account. Smile
(are you cooled down from the recent trouble now?)

The trouble there isn't what people seem to think it is and I'm not so happy discussing it - I'm a bit bored of it thb - but if you want to chat about it, then I've enabled email from the forum.
On a more positive note, Microsoft finally sent me Win7 Pro - Not Ultimate as they said - US version :X for fucking up my HDD on The Beast, so I'm happy with that.
They recovered the data for me as well, so this is a bonus. Now I can dual boot with the new HDD I have to replace the borked one.

1:47.745 on stopwatch

It is definitely the chat box things that are slowing it down. They are also what seem to be causing most timeouts for me.

Quote:

if the timeout is something in the form of a 50x (mostly 503 I think), then it's a host thing I can't do much about it.

Yeah. I think you're right.

I've found that I can not get the timeouts so much, and so the window loads and the post is made(!) if I use Firefox and then open every link in a new window :/
If the first fails, I just copy, open new tab, paste, etc... until one loads. Razz
Lotsa open windows, but I'm used to that. I just don't think that Lappy R45 is, lol.

Quote:

Unless I'd buy myself a decent domain and stuff, with the chance I have to take a same route as AB (corporate community etc)

How much space do you need? All downloads are hosted on (mostly free) filehost sites, so it's just the site code to sit there? I have some free webspace that's not slow.

Quote:

An advert, you say? So you have some sort of banner to promote this place? Smile
I'd like to see it.

Not a banner - a web-page I knocked up when I found MS Publisher was on the laptop I'm using atm. Basically, it's, I guess, a flyer (like you'd get given in the street) with a lot of links to here on anywhere clickable.

Has a different "brand/theme" as it is a lot darker, but it has a hot chick on it and promotes this place quite well. I was gonna put it up on my webspaces just because it's been a long time since I used something like Publisher. I've used Adobe stuff for years now. Surprised I could still do it.
You can wait til I upload it to some webspace somewhere (probably the free place that comes with my ISP, since that place is too small for practical use beyond this kinda thing) or I can send you the files.

Up to you.

All TTfonts, tho - they look bad - and the quality could be better if it was coded with some help from Dreamweaver or something (and by a better coder Razz)
Basically, I did it in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep and had TBD open, which made me think, "I could do a thing themed for that". How my mind works is very simple...

Don't expect anything great unless I make it properly. We are talking an old bit of software running on an old, befuddled mind here.
I mean the computer, not my brain.

I can make a jpg/gif/flash banner if you think that's a good idea.
Really, I just made the page because, as I said, I couldn't sleep and found Publisher was installed.

Quote:

Ahh.. And now the CB vs SB. scratch
The Xat CB was added first to the forum, cause I thought we needed a CB.
BUT it had some issues. Normal users couldn't post links in it and due to the fact it was an external CB, there wasn't a proper user integration.
The Forum SB IS integrated though, and allows for posting links. (although if you want them to be clickable you have to wrap it in [url} {/url] tags).
Another minor downside to the SB. You can only post there once your logged in. Not logged in == not seeing SB.
Whereas the CB is viewable despite login status.

I guess it all depends on the other users. There is no point changing something that isn't causing problems (for more than one person).

Quote:

Think I've explained what needed to be explained. If not, please ask some more. Smile
Cause like you said yourself. It's all sitting here, barely being used.
And more community isn't bad for this place right? Very Happy

Well, I started another blog the other day - devoted to Life in London, as seen from the gutter and the penthouse suite (I live in many worlds :/) but with lots of free games download links and tech-based stuff too.
Just to mix up the blatant piracy with a bit of legit stuff. Obfuscate it; hide it in plain sight.
I put a link to TBD in the navbar and on the widget panel in the appropriate sections.
Since it started, less than a week ago:

Code:

Page Loads      Unique Visitors      First Time Visitors   Returning Visitors
Total    96        29                                17                      12
Average    7             2                                1                             1

and earned me nearly 20 pence in ad revenue, lol, which isn't bad for a start-up blog in its first week, I think. Smile

Maybe some of those people will click-thru to here, I haven't checked exit traffic yet, but I'll have a look and let you know if any do.

That, plus the flyer, plus some other blogs I keep (some have nothing to do with piracy, though, so it would be inappropriate), and some sneaky additions to some other websites I use may help improve activity.

AB don't seem to care whether they retain me or not, and I would not be happy going back there, so I may as well get involved somewhere else to fill the time-slot that is left open (Heaven forbid I put in more hours to training or something Razz), huh?
If you'll take on board someone who doesn't play well with people when they start to give him shit, then I don't mind helping out.
If there's no shit, and things remain professional (or it is professional shit) then I'm cool.

You know what I am like... I don't need to explain myself.
L8rz
Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Saccade
Den Dweller

Post Reply with quote
It's gotta be the Lappy R45, man...

I'm on The Beast and everything's fine.
Might also explain why there's problems with the mediafire d/l's with Hunvagy, as I probably uploaded them from Lappy.

Dunno why they'd work when I d/l'd them and not for him tho - I'll make sure to double check and start using .7z since we're not constrained by format here. Majority of these games are PC / Windows and people can get .7z or HJSplit for nowt pretty easy.

Forget about the site issues thing - I'll just use this machine instead, when I'm at home.
Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:17 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
GTX2GvO
The Forum Virus

Post Reply with quote
Oh. So in some way it good that the blame is to be given to the Lappy instead of the site.
Also. That stopwatch thing says to me the page only loads in 2~3 sec.

Quote:
How much space do you need? All downloads are hosted on (mostly free) filehost sites, so it's just the site code to sit there? I have some free webspace that's not slow.

If you got enough free space to hold a vBullit or phpBB (2 or 3) forum + a possible bunch of Xtra Webpages and a Database (for the forum tables) of about 5 MB or more.
THIS host is currently giving me 100Mb of Webspace + a 5Mb MySQL Database.

Also. I would LOVE to have a Pro on board when it comes to webdesign and/or tweaking forum software.
And you don't worry about shit between you and other members.
It's my task to make sure that ain't the case.
And I'm personally not the guy who want to be part of shit himself.

Oh. And I still like to see that ad/banner/webpage.
Just choose an easy method in letting me see.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:37 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Saccade
Den Dweller

Post Reply with quote
Okay, cool man.

[ed]
Holy fuck dude - without that cb in the middle - LappyR45 loads this no probs everytime. Like you said 2-3s 100% success rate. Awesome.[/ed]

Idk if the place I was thinking of will host SQL without me upgrading, but I've been with them a long time and have a good relationship with them - maybe they'll help.

Ideally, then, you want as much space as poss, but a min of 150Mb..?
I will see what I have, but I can't promise anything because of the MySequel.

If you want to discuss maybe making a few changes (to, other stuff - not necessarily this site - like the flyer-redirect-gateway site) to earn some money to help towards hosting fees... I'm all ears.

Also, right now, I am dealing with AVE.exe, because I was trying to improve it and accidentally ran it on my main installation... All my PC's are offline, locked down and physically disconnected except this infected one (not so infected since I changed all the reg keys, now I just need to remove the files)

I'm still using a virtual keyboard, so typing is rather slow Razz

I hope none of my password details have been stolen, especially after someone was fucking with my Steam account the other day (can you believe they reported me and I was blocked for 3 days from playing my own games?!)! Why would someone do that..?
Opera won't load, so I must've missed something in the registry about that.

These are the fixes I made:
Code:

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

Any ideas from anyone as to how I can get Opera working again? I used it a lot for certain sites and I need it for testing pages - it's my default browser.

Fucking thing totally cripples your PC by stopping .exe's (also specifically targets certain AV soft) opening - no permissions - and instead opens AVE.exe, which is scareware to get people to think they've got *other infections* and then "BUY" the software off them to fix it (and, as I said, it blocks other scanners - except newer ones, like Kaspersky Pure) and keylogs everything.
I wanted to remove the Scareware bit of it, so it just blocked .exe's and change it so it's "new" and so won't be caught except by someone with hard-core real-time protection, like Premium Malwarebytes or Kaspersky.

Either way, I think I should leave writing viruses alone again for a while. I'm obviously out of practice, else I wouldn't've infected myself LOL!!!
What a fucking retard...

When I've finished off cleaning this virus, I'll upload the flyer and give you the link. It'll be easier than zipping the files and having you host it locally and save me doing it again if you're happy with it.
Wait...
I just realised, that all the links include a SID (for me, dick-head... why'd i not notice that?), so they need changing. And Publisher is shit and won't let me absolute anchor some of the stuff, so the background needs to be trimmed to fit and I'll just do it WYSIWYG or something. I'll figure it out.

It's a very old, shit piece of software. When ready, i'll upload and import to Dreamweaver and make a better one if you're happy with the plan of having a "front page / gateway" that people can use to find the Black Den.

Started work on some flash this last night, but had a major argument with Claire about her visiting Abandonia when I specifically blocked it on our network.
I need her help with flash (you've probably seen her work on the net - ad's) and I think that this - coupled with some other stuff - means we may start to fall out and consider a trial separation.
(in which case I will have a LOT of free time to spend on things)

Alrite mate.
I'll speak to you later. Got to sort out this infection and then that MtG thing for Hunvagy before I do anything else. L8rz
Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:02 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
GTX2GvO
The Forum Virus

Post Reply with quote
Saccade wrote:

If you want to discuss maybe making a few changes (to, other stuff - not necessarily this site - like the flyer-redirect-gateway site) to earn some money to help towards hosting fees... I'm all ears.

Maybe you haven't really noticed it, but there IS some sort of front page to this site (which need some definite work)
Can be accessed by either pressing the moving The Black Den Logo @ the top of the page
or by going to http://guivan3.100webspace.net (both are actually the same movement)

Saccade wrote:

Also, right now, I am dealing with AVE.exe, because I was trying to improve it and accidentally ran it on my main installation... All my PC's are offline, locked down and physically disconnected except this infected one (not so infected since I changed all the reg keys, now I just need to remove the files)

Oh, boy. I know that $h1t. It's basically a piece of scareware that goes by the name of [OS] Internet Security 2010 and other sorts of "anti-vir" names. (where [OS] is the name of the OS used)
Don't worry. It wasn't me who got infected by it. It was on someone else's Laptop. Laughing

I followed the the suggestions from a few sites and placed them in a txt file

Code:
Remove Vista Internet Security 2010
File Windows 7 Internet Security 2010 Removal Procedures

The first step needed to remove Windows 7 Internet Security 2010 is to stop the following process: ( Learn how to terminate a running process )

* av.exe

Please note that if you are in safe mode this program is most likely not running. Now you are ready to delete the following files and folders:

* %Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Application Data\av.exe
    * %Documents and Settings%\[UserName]\Application Data\WRblt8464P

Once these steps have been completed, Vista Internet Security 2010 no longer resides on your hard disk.

Claim Your Free Scan of Spyware Doctor with Antivirus
Registry Removal Procedures

Removing files and folders is not sufficient to completely get rid of Vista Internet Security 2010. The following registry entries should also be removed: (How to Edit Registry Here)

* HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "av.exe" /START "%1? %*
    * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "av.exe" /START "%1? %*
    * HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "av.exe" /START "%1? %*
    * HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "av.exe" /START "%1? %*
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "av.exe" /START "firefox.exe"
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\safemode\command "(Default)" = "av.exe" /START "firefox.exe" -safe-mode
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "av.exe" /START "iexplore.exe"
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "AntiVirusOverride" = "1?
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center "FirewallOverride" = "1?

Once these keys and settings have been removed, your computer is completely safe from Vista Internet Security 2010. It would be prudent to perform a registry scan using a well-known registry cleaner to ensure that no registry values created by Vista Internet Security 2010 remain. Additionally, a full computer scan using genuine antivirus software such as Spyware Doctor with Antivirus would be recommended in order to make sure that no additional malicious files have been left behind.

I don't think it want to steal your PW's. Most likely this piece of **** wants your credit-card details.

Saccade wrote:
.....but had a major argument with Claire about her visiting Abandonia when I specifically blocked it on our network.

Don't be to harsh on her, please. She also has friends on the AB board.
If you really don't want her to visit AB anymore, but don't want her to deny to talk to her internet friends suggest to her to register here.
There are quite some AB members registered here and others could easily find the access to this site.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:44 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Saccade
Den Dweller

Post Reply with quote
GTX2GvO wrote:

Maybe you haven't really noticed it, but there IS some sort of front page to this site (which need some definite work)
Can be accessed by either pressing the moving The Black Den Logo @ the top of the page
or by going to http://guivan3.100webspace.net (both are actually the same movement)

Yeah, I seen the main page. That's a good place to put partner links and stuff.
What I was talking about was a separate domain to act as a gateway to here. So this place can still remain hidden, but that other domain (freespace, with something like that flyer I've made [not gotten around to publishing that yet, sorry]) can be the place to earn a bit of ad revenue, and redirect to here - the forum.

Saccade wrote:

Quote:

Oh, boy. I know that $h1t. It's basically a piece of scareware that goes by the name of [OS] Internet Security 2010 and other sorts of "anti-vir" names. (where [OS] is the name of the OS used)
Don't worry. It wasn't me who got infected by it. It was on someone else's Laptop. Laughing

Good shit Laughing I'm just stupid enough to think I can reassemble it to work for me instead Razz

Quote:

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet\FIREFOX.EXE\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "av.exe" /START "firefox.exe"

Substitute Opera for Firefox and you have (had) my problem.
I missed that key and so couldn't open Opera, because it would start IE instead.
The only reason I have IE installed is because Steam uses it (for when I want to tweak steam) and because I need to see how pages look in as many browsers as possible.
If I didn't need to do that - it'd be uninstalled.

I ended up removing most of it manually, starting with the registry - since it wouldn't let me open even paint ffs.
Managed to write a .reg update file using Start>Run>CMD>Notepad (seems the virus doesn't affect launches that way, so is one improvement I was going to make - glad I didn't do it now LOL), that was pretty much what you posted just there - minus the bit for the browsers.

It's all gone now, everythings fixed and the LappyR45 is Old Reliable once more. In fact, somehow, it has consolidated all my free space meaning the HDD performance has improved by 3% Smile

Quote:

I don't think it want to steal your PW's. Most likely this piece of **** wants your credit-card details.

Through the scareware side of it?
Yeah, reckon yr right. Glad I already knew what it was... Most people I know, who I have to help out with PC stuff, would've entered their details without hesitation, thinking it was a genuine product.

Quote:

Saccade wrote:
.....but had a major argument with Claire about her visiting Abandonia when I specifically blocked it on our network.

Don't be to harsh on her, please. She also has friends on the AB board.

Yeah, I know... Sad I'm just an arsehole sometimes... I shouldn't be to her, though. She doesn't deserve it. I just don't like the lies.

Quote:

If you really don't want her to visit AB anymore, but don't want her to deny to talk to her internet friends suggest to her to register here.
There are quite some AB members registered here and others could easily find the access to this site.

Now that Arete has registered here, and Claire can't talk to Arete on Facebook anymore because of work restrictions, I will suggest she do that.
However - her having a site devoted to piracy open, or a Xatbox running, at work... It may cause problems.

Either way, I will let her know that this is a place she is welcome and can chat to the girls at AB without having to hack through my blocks to get to AB.
(My fear was just that she was meddling in me leaving or fighting my battles for me... I am too proud for that, being faux-Bushi)

Cheers mate. Smile
Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:13 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Saccade
Den Dweller

Post Reply with quote
The lesson to learn here is:

Don't mess with viruses on the computers that you *don't* want infected.
Compile them on machines that you don't mind zero'ing and starting again.

Fuck, I coulda lost all my work on this machine, man...
Well. Not really. But you know what I mean. :/
Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Black Den Forum Index » Site Issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: